Summer Series 2022
The Wharton Club Summer Series is designed to promote a sense of community among new students, summer interns, and young alumni and provides a framework for clubs to host summer events targeted at these populations.
In 2022, the Wharton Global Clubs Network broke records for summer engagement through the program. We are proud to share highlights from this year.
42 clubs participated in Summer Series 2022 – a 68% increase from the previous year!
18 clubs planned something exclusive for this population, highlights include:
- The Wharton Club of Israel sent “A Toast to a New Class” email featuring bios and headshots of the 6 incoming MBA students from the region
- The Wharton Club of Southern California created “The Wharton SoCal Guide” to share recommendations and insider tips for new alumni in the area
- The Wharton Club of Philadelphia hosted a Pub Outside of Penn (POP) Beers with the Board at Victory Brewing
- The Wharton Healthcare Management Alumni Association hosted new student and alumni mixers in Philadelphia, Boston, and NYC
- The Wharton Clubs of Korea and Taiwan both hosted intimate dinners at Italian restaurants
A theme this year was that many clubs (~43% of clubs that participated in Summer Series) engaged with their list in multiple ways. We recorded 67 unique touchpoints – a 97% increase from the previous year!
- 14 clubs sent welcome messages to their alumni list
- Students and recent graduates were invited to 27 club events for all alumni and 23 club events exclusively for students and young alumni.
- Baseball games were very popular, with the Wharton Clubs of Boston, Dallas Fort Worth, the National Capital Region, and Northern California all hosting baseball outings
- 3 clubs went above and beyond to support MBA Admissions’ info sessions and helped recruit young alumni to attend
Quotes from the Network
“This summer the Wharton Club of Boston hosted a "Summer Happy Hour in Boston" event at the "The Sevens" pub in Beacon Hill. It was specifically targeted toward incoming students and current interns in the city. The event was an incredible success as it had around 30 people attend, across different class years, backgrounds and industries. We owe a special thanks to Ashley Knight (WG'23) from the Wharton Graduate Association (WGA) for coordinating the event with our club. It was very helpful to have someone who was a part of the WGA partner with our club to create this event because she helped advertise it among her closest Wharton peers/co-workers in the city.”
-David Rittner, W’11, Co-President, Wharton Club of Boston
“We have contacted all recent MBA students from Spain and invited them to join our club. We waived the annual fee for a whole year so all new alumni accepted to be in the club and now will receive all our updates and invitations to events.”
-Beltrán Álvarez de Estrada, W’96, President, Wharton Club of Spain
"For incoming Wharton students, we hosted an online welcome session. Later in August we held an in person sendoff event at PWCC for all Wharton and Penn incoming students. This event had over 80 participants and was jointly hosted with Harvard Club."
Michelle Liu, WG’97, President, Wharton Club of Beijing
Thinking ahead to Summer Series 2023? Check out our young alumni resources to prepare for next year's opportunities!
- Follow this link to learn more about how to engage young alumni
- Learn more about the goals of the Summer Series from the May 4, 2022 session of Wharton Clubs: Dialed In. Click here to watch the recording.